Emphasising the applications of chemistry and minimising complicated mathematics, General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry, 7E is written throughout to help students succeed in the course and master the biochemistry content so important to their future careers. The 7th Edition's clear explanations, visual support, and effective pedagogy combine to make the text ideal for allied health majors. Early chapters focus on fundamental chemical principles while later chapters build on the foundations of these principles. Mathematics is introduced at point-of-use and only as needed.
New to the Edition
- OWLv2 is the most trusted online learning solution for chemistry. Featuring chemist-developed content, OWLv2 is the only system designed to elevate thinking through Mastery Learning, allowing students to work at their own pace until they understand each concept and skill. Each time a student tries a problem, OWLv2 changes the, chemistry, values, and sometimes even the wording of the question to ensure students are learning the concepts and not cheating the system. With detailed, instant feedback and interactive learning resources, students get the help they need when they need it. Now with improved student and instructor tools and greater functionality, OWLv2 is more robust than ever. Discover the power of OWLv2 and take learning to a higher level.
- Chemistry at-a-Glance features provide brief visual summaries of core chapter concepts to help students visualise difficult material.
- Chemical Connection Boxes show chemistry as it relates to everyday life, highlighting its relevance to students' future careers in the health and environmental fields.
- A wide range of examples throughout the book help students improve their problem-solving skills.
- Early chapters focus on fundamental chemical principles; later chapters build on the foundation of these principles.
- The book is fully integrated with the OWL online learning system, which saves instructors time and helps students master concepts and improve their grades.
About the Author
- The most powerful online learning solution for chemistry is better than ever. OWLv2 now has more flexible student and instructor functionality, new personalised study tools, enhanced integration with learning management systems, and improved analytics. For this course, OWLv2 also includes Quick Prep, an online short course to review key chemistry concepts and essential skills, new iPad-compatible visualisations, tutorials, and simulations, and new Adaptive Study Plans. In addition, Tutors, Visualisations and Simulations have been converted from Flash to HTML, allowing for easier navigation and streamlined grading.
- Section Quizzes - new section quizzes at the end of each of section test student understanding of the section. The quizzes test student understanding at the micro-level and reinforce key concepts. There are 356 section quizzes; total of 1, 252 questions.
- Learning Focus - new feature called "Learning Focus". Learning focuses are placed at the beginning of each section and provide students with insight into what each section is going to focus on and the associated learning outcomes for those sections.
Stephen Stoker of Weber State University in Ogden, UT, has taught the gamut of introductory chemistry courses, specialising in GOB, for the past 30 years. Weber State has a very large Health Professions school, and GOB is geared at students with little or no experience in chemistry (notably Allied Health and Nursing majors).
PART I: GENERAL CHEMISTRY.
1. Basic Concepts About Matter.
2. Measurements in Chemistry.
3. Atomic Structure and the Periodic Table.
4. Chemical Bonding: The Ionic Bond Model.
5. Chemical Bonding: The Covalent Bond Model.
6. Chemical Calculations: Formula Masses, Moles, and Chemical Equations.
7. Gases, Liquids, and Solids.
9. Chemical Reactions.
10. Acids, Bases, and Salts.
11. Nuclear Chemistry.
PART II: ORGANIC CHEMISTRY.
12. Saturated Hydrocarbons.
13. Unsaturated Hydrocarbons.
14. Alcohols, Phenols, and Ethers.
15. Aldehydes and Ketones.
16. Carboxylic Acids, Esters, and Other Acid Derivatives.
17. Amines and Amides.
PART III: BIOLOGICAL CHEMISTRY.
21. Enzymes and Vitamins.
22. Nucleic Acids.
23. Biochemical Energy Production.
24. Carbohydrate Metabolism.
25. Lipid Metabolism.
26. Protein Metabolism.
Answers to Selected Exercises
Tertiary; University or College
Number Of Pages: 1232
Published: 6th February 2015
Publisher: Cengage Learning, Inc
Country of Publication: US
Dimensions (cm): 28.4 x 22.5
Weight (kg): 2.45
Edition Number: 7
Edition Type: Revised