Human illnesses can be understood as damage to those adaptations that we took on at various stages in our evolution from pre-life molecules to modern Homo sapiens. Preventing these illnesses entails avoiding what causes the damage-- which too frequently are the everyday hazards of twenty-first-century life, as the chart below shows:<br> <br> Level of Evolution<br> <br> Cause of adaptive failure<br> <br> resulting disease or problem<br> <br> Pre-life<br> <br> Environmental poisons<br> <br> Certain birth defects<br> <br> Single cell (bacteria and amoeba-like)<br> <br> Viral infection<br> <br> Colds/flu/HIV<br> <br> Morula (sponge-like)<br> <br> Cellular stress<br> <br> Cancer<br> <br> Chordate<br> <br> Physical stress<br> <br> Back pain<br> <br> Fish<br> <br> Excess dietary salt<br> <br> Hypertension/heart disease<br> <br> Amphibian<br> <br> Tobacco smoke<br> <br> Lung cancer/emphysema<br> <br> Lower primate<br> <br> Excess dietary sugar<br> <br> Diabetes mellitus<br> <br> Higher primate<br> <br> Vitamin C deficiency<br> <br> Scurvy<br> <br> Ape<br> <br> Excess dietary protein<br> <br> Gout<br> <br> Homo sapiens<br> <br> Reduced dietary variety<br> <br> Nutritionaldiseases/food allergies
"...many of the book's points are excellent and would yield delight if effectively delivered to the public and to the clinicla specialists...a gem..."(human-nature.com, 11 June 2002)
"...rich in facts and good quality high-fibre solid information..." (Evolving Health Focus, August 2002)
List of Tables.
1. Achieving Adaptive Normality, Your EvolutionaryBirthright.
2. How Our Health Evolved.
3. An Evolutionary Child s Birthright:Perinatal and Pediatric Diseases.
4. The Virus War.
5. Cellular Stress: A General Model for Cancer.
6. Breast Cancer, Prostate Diseases, and Cancersof the Reproductive System.
7. Heart Disease and High Blood Pressure:A Story of Fish and Chips.
8. Why We Smoke.
9. Diabetes Mellitus and the Thrifty Genotype .
10. Gout, Liver Enzymes, and Global Climate Change.
11. Back Pain, Bad Knees, and Flatfeet.
12. Gut Diseases.
13. The Evolution of Psychiatric Disorders.
14. Uncivilized Solutions: ReestablishingAdaptive Normality in Your Life.
Number Of Pages: 256
Published: 28th March 2002
Publisher: John Wiley and Sons Ltd
Country of Publication: US
Dimensions (cm): 24.45 x 16.1
Weight (kg): 0.48
Edition Number: 1