Fast and Effective Embedded Systems Design is a fast-moving introduction to embedded system design, applying the innovative ARM mbed and its web-based development environment. Each chapter introduces a major topic in embedded systems, and proceeds as a series of practical experiments, adopting a "learning through doing" strategy. Minimal background knowledge is needed. C/C++ programming is applied, with a step-by-step approach which allows the novice to get coding quickly. Once the basics are covered, the book progresses to some "hot" embedded issues - intelligent instrumentation, networked systems, closed loop control, and digital signal processing.
Written by two experts in the field, this book reflects on the experimental results, develops and matches theory to practice, evaluates the strengths and weaknesses of the technology or technique introduced, and considers applications and the wider context. Numerous exercises and end of chapter questions are included.
- A hands-on introduction to the field of embedded systems, with a focus on fast prototyping
- Key embedded system concepts covered through simple and effective experimentation
- Amazing breadth of coverage, from simple digital i/o, to advanced networking and control
- Applies the most accessible tools available in the embedded world
- Supported by mbed and book web sites, containing FAQs and all code examples
- Deep insights into ARM technology, and aspects of microcontroller architecture
- Instructor support available, including power point slides, and solutions to questions and exercises
INTRODUCTION 1 EMBEDDED SYSTEMS, MICROCONTROLLERS and ARM 2 INTRODUCING the MBED 3. DIGITAL INPUT and OUTPUT 4. ANALOG OUTPUT 5. ANALOG INPUT 6 FURTHER PROGRAMMING TECHNIQUES 7. STARTING with SERIAL COMMUNICATIONS 8. LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAYS 9. INTERRUPTS, TIMERS and TASKS 10 MEMORY and DATA MANAGEMENT 11 An INTRODUCTION to DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSING 12 ADVANCED SERIAL COMMUNICATIONS 13 An INTRODUCTION to CONTROL SYSTEMS 14 LETTING GO of the MBED LIBRARIES 15 EXTENSION PROJECTS APPENDIX A: SOME NUMBER SYSTEMS APPENDIX B: SOME C ESSENTIALS APPENDIX C: MBED TECHNICAL DATA APPENDIX D: PARTS LIST APPENDIX E: The TERA TERM TERMINAL EMULATOR