Debates in ESOL Teaching and Learning
Culture, Communities And Classrooms
Sorry, the eBook that you are looking for is not available right now.
We did a search for other eBooks with a similar title, however there were no matches. You can try selecting from a similar category, click on the author's name, or use the search box above to find your eBook.
This book provides a lively introduction to the theory and research surrounding adult learning of English by speakers of other languages. Offering an accessible discussion of contemporary debates, the book examines a wide geographical and social spread of issues, such as:
· How to understand the universal characteristics of learning an additional language
· What makes a 'good' language learner
· Multilingualism and the taken for granted assumptions about monolingualism
· Learning the written language
· Learners coping with oral communication outside the ESOL classroom
· The effect of recent Government immigration policy on language learning processes.
As a majority of adults learning ESOL are made up of communities of immigrants, refugees and asylum seekers, the diversity of social and personal histories of the learners is a critical dimension of this unique book. The question 'what is the relationship between the mental processes of language learning and the social and cultural contexts of learning?' is one that threads through the entire text, bringing in discussion of types of classroom and language teaching methodologies.
Full of practical activities and case studies, this book will be essential reading for any basic skills teacher undertaking a course of professional development, from GNVQ through to post-graduate level.
Published: 27th September 2005
This Product Is Categorised By
- Non-Fiction » Education » Teaching Skills & Techniques
- Non-Fiction » Education » Teaching of Specific Groups with Special Educational Needs
- Non-Fiction » Education
- Non-Fiction » Language & Linguistics » Language Teaching & Learning (not ELT)
- Non-Fiction » Language & Linguistics » Linguistics » Literacy
- Non-Fiction » Language & Linguistics » Linguistics
- Non-Fiction » Teaching English (ELT) » ELT Learning Material & Coursework