A leading professional resource and course text, this book provides practical guidance for treating clients with substance use disorders in a variety of contexts. Expert contributors present major assessment and treatment approaches together with detailed recommendations for intervening with particular substances. Clinical techniques are clearly explained and illustrated with helpful case examples. Important topics include harm reduction; strategies for working with family members; and ways to meet the needs of specific populations, including women, adolescents, older adults, LGBT clients, and those with frequently encountered co-occurring problems.
New to This Edition
*Revised to reflect current research and clinical advances; updated for DSM-5.
*Chapters on trauma-informed care, cognitive-behavioral therapy, and complementary/alternative approaches.
*Chapters on neurobiology and behavioral addictions.
*Significantly revised chapters on family treatment and dual disorders.
"The concise and straightforward manner in which information is presented allows the editor to make the book simple and readable while covering an extensive range of theoretical material. The book can be read in its entirety by students and newcomers to the field or selectively by those interested in particular chapters....I have no hesitation recommending this book to psychiatrists, mental health workers, addiction clinicians, and especially psychiatry residents and medical students as an informative, comprehensive, and clearly and concisely written textbook." (on the second edition)
I. An Introduction to Clinical Practice with Clients with Substance Use Disorders
1. Assessment and Treatment of Clients with Substance Use Disorders: An Overview, Shulamith Lala Ashenberg Straussner
2. Neurobiology of Substance Use Disorders and Implications for Treatment, Audrey Begun and Suzanne Brown
II. Assessment and Intervention with Individuals Dependent on Different Substances
3. Assessment and Treatment of Individuals Dependent on Alcohol and Other Central Nervous System Depressants, Philip O'Dwyer
4. Assessment and Treatment of Individuals Dependent on Opioids, Ellen Grace Friedman
5. Assessment and Treatment of Individuals Dependent on Stimulants, Armin R. Baier, Edgar E. Coons, and David M. Ockert
III. Varying Perspectives on Intervention with Clients with Substance Use Disorders
6. Motivating Clients with Substance Use Disorders through the Helping Process, Meredith Hanson and Nabila El-Bassel
7. The Clinical Practice of Harm Reduction Psychotherapy, Belinda Seiger
8. Intersection between Trauma and Substance Misuse: Implications for Trauma-Informed Care, Shelly A. Wiechelt
9. Working with Mandated Clients with Substance Use Disorders: A Solution-Focused Approach, Kathryn C. Shafer and Sara A. Smock Jordan
10. Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for People with Addictions, Bruce S. Liese
11. Complementary and Alternative Approaches to Treating Clients with Substance Use Disorders, Judy Fenster and Leslie J. Temme
12. 12-Step Programs as a Treatment Modality, Christine Huff Fewell and Betsy Robin Spiegel
IV. Assessment and Intervention with Families
13. Family Treatment of Individuals with Substance Use Disorders, Catherine M. Lemieux
14. Treating the Partners of Individuals with Substance Use Disorders, Elizabeth Zelvin
15. Dynamics and Treatment Issues with Children of Individuals with Substance Use Disorders, Roberta Markowitz
V. Special Issues and Special Populations
16. Assessment and Treatment of Clients with Co-Occurring Psychiatric and Substance Use Disorders, Shelley Scheffler
17. Assessment and Treatment of Adolescents with Substance Use Disorders, Audrey Freshman
18. Assessment and Treatment of Older Adults with Substance Use Disorders, Kathleen J. Farkas
19. Assessment and Treatment of Women with Substance Use Disorders, Patricia A. Pape and Stephanie Elias Sarabia
20. Assessment and Treatment of Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Clients with Substance Use Disorders, Evan Senreich and Elena Vairo
21. Assessment and Treatment of Drug-Using Individuals with HIV/AIDS, Larry M. Gant
22. Assessment and Treatment of Co-Existing Substance Use Disorder and Process Addictions: Eating Disorders, Pathological Gambling, and Sexual Addiction, Nicole Zmuda
VI. Looking toward the Future
23. Practice and Policy Issues: The Changing Landscape, Shulamith Lala Ashenberg Straussner
Number Of Pages: 560
Published: 17th December 2013
Publisher: Guilford Publications
Edition Number: 1
Edition Type: Third Edition