There has been a recent explosion of active concern in matters of animal welfare. The science behind animal welfare has progressed significantly, new codes of practice and legislation have come into to being, and innovative methods to assess welfare schemes for food production have emerged.
Part of a major animal welfare series, Animal Welfare: Limping Towards Eden is John Webster???s new and groundbreaking work on animal welfare. Building on his first book, the highly acclaimed Animal Welfare: A Cool Eye Towards Eden, it not only critically reviews areas of development, but looks to how animal welfare can be improved in the future.
Special consideration is given to:
- Defining animal welfare (???fit and happy???) and establishing a systematic approach for its evaluation (the ???five freedoms???);
- Providing a sound ethical framework that affords proper respect to animals within the broader context of our duties as citizens to the welfare of society;
- Developing comprehensive, robust protocols for assessing animal welfare and the provisions that constitute good husbandry;
- Introducing an education policy that will increase human awareness of animal welfare problems and promote action to reduce suffering.
This book is part of the UFAW/Wiley-Blackwell Animal Welfare Book Series.?? This major series of books produced in collaboration between UFAW (The Universities Federation for Animal Welfare), and Wiley-Blackwell provides an authoritative source of information on worldwide developments, current thinking and best practice in the field of animal welfare science and technology. For details of all of the titles in the series see www.wiley.com/go/ufaw.
1. Introduction: Facts and Values.
2. Challenge and Response.
3. Sentience, Sense and Sufferering.
4. Husbandry and Welfare on the Farm: Assessment and Assurance.
5. Animals for Food: Indutrialized Farming, Pigs and Poultry.
6. Animals for Food: Cattle and Other Ruminants.
7. Animals for Food: Handling, Transport and Slaughter.
8. Animals for Science and Biotechnology.
9. Animals for Sport.
10. Animals as Pets.
11. Limping Towards Eden: Stepping Stones.
Number Of Pages: 296
Published: 15th April 2008