Modernist quintessence: The birth of the International Style
Offering an unrivaled record of architecture and design, the “living diary” of domus was founded by Gio Ponti in 1928. Through the years and decades that followed, the journal charted the major themes and movements of industrial, interior, product, and structural design with an eye for creative excellence as much as editorial rigor.
This fresh reprint features domus’s coverage from the transformative years between 1928 and 1939. It is an era famed for the emergence of the International Style when the likes of Le Corbusier, Mies van der Rohe, Marcel Breuer, Robert Mallet-Stevens, Alvar Aalto, and Richard Neutra channeled modernist ideals into rectilinear forms, restrained surfaces, and open, luminous interiors.
The domus coverage of this decisive decade spanned the details and the grand designs. From soaring steel skyscrapers to tubular furniture, its coverage is a definitive record of how light, form, and pared-down aesthetics combined in the pursuit of an honest and utilitarian form for the modern and rapidly industrializing age.
About the series:
- Seven volumes spanning 1928 to 1999
- Over 6,000 pages featuring influential projects by the most important designers and architects
- Original layouts and all covers, with captions providing navigation and context
- New introductory essays by renowned architects and designers
- Each edition comes with an appendix featuring texts translated into English, many of which were previously only available in Italian
- A comprehensive index in each volume listing both designers’ and manufacturers’ names
- Compact cultural companions celebrating the eclectic TASCHEN universe at an unbeatable, democratic price!
Since we started our work as cultural archaeologists in 1980, the name TASCHEN has become synonymous with accessible, open-minded publishing.
brings together nearly 100 of our all-time favorite titles in a neat new format so you can curate your own affordable library of art, anthropology, and aphrodisia.
Bookworm’s delight - never bore, always excite!
Text in English, French, German, and Italian
About the Author
Charlotte & Peter Fiell have written numerous TASCHEN
books, including 1000 Chairs, Design of the 20th Century, Industrial Design A–Z, Scandinavian Design, Designing the 21st Century, Graphic Design for the 21st Century, 1000 Lights and Contemporary Graphic Design.
They also edited TASCHEN’s Decorative Art
series and the 12-volume domus 1928–1999.
"Beautifully designed and comprehensively documented, page after page this series presents some of the most compelling design and architecture projects from around the world."