Drawing on research and practical experience, James L. Garnett offers public managers a new, more systematic and strategic approach to communicating with superiors, colleagues, and citizens; presents guidelines for effective communication; and furnishes practical tools for using this new approach.
"This is the book for administrators because of its emphasis on communication.... It is equally useful for graduate work in public administration, urban planning, social work, forestry, and other fields of government."
"This is one of those rare books where the rave reviews do the work justice. Although the work deals specifically with communication in government, any reader wishing to communicate better will appreciate this book. Communicating for Results in Government should be required reading for anyone entering into any position in government."
"This thorough and well researched book articulates and reinforces many of the ideas with which public administration as a field is concerned as we enter the 1990s.... It is a much needed addition to the professional literature as a guide for practitioners and a text for students."
Part One: Understanding Communication in Public Management.
1. Why Communication Is So Crucial to Government Success.
2. Recognizing and Overcoming Barriers to Effective Communication.
3. Applying a Strategic Model to Government Communication.
Part Two: Communicating with Key Audiences to Achieve Public Management Results.
4. Relating to Administrative Superiors and Elected Officials.
5. Strengthening Exchanges with Subordinates.
6. Improving Relationships with Colleagues and Other Agencies.
7. Communicating with Government's Publics.
Part Three: Crucial Issues in Government Communication.
8. Communicating During Crises.
9. Communicating Ethically in Government: Issues and Guidelines.
10. Improving Communication Skills.
Series: Public Administration Ser.
Number Of Pages: 306
Published: 28th June 1994
Publisher: JOSSEY BASS
Country of Publication: US
Dimensions (cm): 23.9 x 16.1
Weight (kg): 0.47
Edition Number: 1
Edition Type: New edition