The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia's RN standards for practice (2016) has replaced the National Competency Standards for the Registered Nurse (2006). This new revised edition of Tollefson for 2017 has incorporated the changes necessary to reflect the progression in thinking of the profession.
Clinical Psychomotor Skills is presented in a concise and easy-to-read style, offering a unique blend of solid theoretical content and practice based competency tables, to enable students and instructors to translate their skills and knowledge into provable competencies that fulfill the required standards.
New to the Edition
About The Authors
- All skills revised and updated for the Australia's RN standards for practice (2016) by our expanded author team of Joanne Tollefson and Elspeth Hillman
- Based on reviewer feedback we have added 2 new skills: Skill 17 Assisted feeding and Skill 31 Medication administration – inhaled medications
- New two-colour text design to emphasise pedagogy and competency tables
- New margin icons of key common procedures such as Hand washing, Documentation, Clean up and Dispose, and Gloving. This important reminders reinforce key tasks for nursing students
- New Linkage icons direct students to other skills they need to remember while learning a new skill
- NEW CourseMate Express website with interactive quizzes, skills videos and additional skills online for student learning and revision
- Each Clinical skill table updated with Performance criteria numbers to indicate NMBA Registered Nurse Standards for Practice
was a Senior Lecturer and Deputy Head of the School of Nursing Sciences at James Cook University. She is a registered nurse with many years of clinical experience in several countries and extensive experience in nursing education at both the hospital and tertiary levels. Research interests include competency-based education and clinical assessment, development of reflective practitioners for a changing work environment, chronic pain and arbovirus disease in the tropics. Joanne is also a two-time recipient of the National Awards for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning (Carrick Award, 2007 and Australian Teaching and Learning Council Award, 2008).
is a Lecturer at the School of Nursing, Midwifery & Nutrition at James Cook University. She is a registered nurse with many years of clinical experience in metropolitan, rural, and remote locations. Recently most of Elspeth’s teaching focused on assisting first year nursing students to develop their foundational nursing skills and to apply these within a person centred philosophy. Research interests include value based care, and creating positive student learning experiences.
1. Introduction to Psychomotor skills Part 1: Aseptic Non-touch Technique 2. Hand hygiene 3. Personal protective equipment 4. Aseptic non-touch technique 5. Surgical hand wash 6. Surgical gowning and gloving Part 2: Assessment 7. Physical assessment 8. Neurological assessment and observation 9. Mental status assessment 10. Cardiovascular assessment 11. Respiratory assessment 12. Abdominal assessment 13. Musculoskeletal assessment and range of motion exercises 14. Pain assessment Part 3: Professional Communication 15. Clinical handover 16. Documentation Part 4: Fluid and Nutritional Support 17. Assisted feeding 18. Nasogastric tube insertion 19. Administration of enteral nutrition 20. Intravenous therapy (IVT) (assisting with establishment) 21. Intravenous therapy (IVT) (management) Part 5: Elimination 22. Assisting with elimination needs 23. Administering an enema 24. Care of the person with suprapubic catheter (catheter irrigation) 25. Urinary catheterisation Part 6: Medication Administration 26. Medication administration ' oral medication 2827. Medication administration ' eye drops or ointment 28. Medication administration ' otic medication 29. Medication administration ' parenteral medication 30. Medication administration ' enteral 31. Medication administration - inhaled medications 32. Intravenous medication administration ' IV container 33. Intravenous medication administration ' volume-controlled infusion set Part 7: Observations 34. Height, weight and waist circumference measurement 35. Temperature, pulse and respiration (TPR) ' measurement 36. Blood pressure measurement 37. Cardiovascular assessment ' 12-lead electrocardiogram 38. Neurovascular observations 39. Blood glucose measurement Part 8: Pain Management 40. Pain management: non-pharmacological interventions ' dry heat and cold 41. Medication administration ' patient-controlled analgesia or other syringe-driven medication 42. Subcutaneous infusions Part 9: Perioperative Care 43. Pre-operative care 44. Post-anaesthesia care and handover 45. Post-operative care Part 10: Personal Hygiene and Maintaining Skin Integrity 46. Personal hygiene ' bed bath or assisted shower 47. Personal hygiene ' mouth care, shaving, hair care and nail care 48. Assisting with repositioning 49. Assisting with mobilisation 50. Pressure area care Part 11: Respiratory Skills 51. Oxygen therapy via nasal cannula or various masks 52. Monitoring pulse oximetry 53. Oropharyngeal/nasopharyngeal suctioning 54. Artificial airway suctioning 55. Tracheostomy care 56. Chest drainage system assessment and management Part 12: Specific Patient Care 57. Unconscious patient care 58. Health care teaching Part 13: Transfusion and Blood Products 59. Blood transfusion administration 60. Venipuncture Part 14: Wound Management 61. Dry dressing technique 62. Complex wounds ' drain, suture or clip removal 63. Complex wounds ' wound irrigation 64. Complex wounds ' packing a wound Part 15 ' Senior Skills [Online] 65: Managing a central venous access device 66 Stoma care 67 Intravenous medication administration- bolus 68: Seclusion ' management 69: Electro-convulsive therapy (ECT) care 70: Pain management: non-pharmacological interventions ' therapeutic massage 71 Pain management: non-pharmacological interventions ' Conventional Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (C-TENS) 72: Neonate ' daily care App: NMBA Registered Nurse standards for practice (2016)
Tertiary; University or College
Book with Other Items
Number Of Pages: 430
Published: 16th November 2016
Publisher: Cengage Learning Australia
Country of Publication: AU
Dimensions (cm): 29.7 x 21.0
Weight (kg): 1.11
Edition Number: 6
Edition Type: Revised