You too can learn to design and develop classic arcade video games like Pong, Pac-Man, Space Invaders, and Scramble. Collision detection, extra lives, power-ups, and countless other essential design elements were invented by the mostly anonymous designers at the early pioneering companies that produced these great games. In this book you'll go step by step, using modern, free software tools such as Unity3D to create five games in the classic style, inspired by these classics: Pong, Breakout, Space Invaders, Scramble, and Pac-Man. All the source code, art and sound sources for the projects are freely available on the companion DVD or at the book's Web site. You'll discover the fun of making your own games, putting in your own color graphics, adjusting the scoring, coding the AI, and creating the sound effects. You'll gain a deep understanding of the roots of modern video game design: the classics of the seventies and eighties.
* Uses seven Unity3D projects to allow for quick experimentation with classic game concepts
* 4-color throughout with companion DVD that includes source code, art, and full projects
* Includes historical anecdotes direct from one of the fabled Atari coin-op programmers
* Detailed step-by-step instructions, dozens of exercises, and eight rules of classic game design
* Contains unique insights on applying classic game design concepts to modern games
1: Introduction.; 2: Tools Of The Trade: A Crash Course.; 3: Pong, Atari (1972).; 4: Pong Clone: Ping!; 5: Breakout, Atari (1976).; 6: Breakout Clone: Brickaway.; 7: Space Invaders, Taito (1978).; 8: Space Invaders Clone: Space Shotz; 9: Galaxian, Namco (1979).; 10: Galaxian Clone: Solarian.; 11: Pacman, Namco (1980).; 12: Pacman Clone: Pizzaman.; 13: What About Asteroids And Missile Command?; Chapter 14: Making Your Own.; Appendix I: Top Selling Arcade Games From 1972 To 1980.
Series: Computer Science
Book with Other Items
Number Of Pages: 300
Published: 25th June 2013
Publisher: Mercury Learning & Information
Country of Publication: US
Dimensions (cm): 22.23 x 17.78
Weight (kg): 0.57