As part of Australian Romance Month, Romance Specialist Haylee Nash will be interviewing one Australian Romance author per day. Much like a beauty pageant, each author will be using their charm, wit and grace (and the power of social media) to take home the Booktopia Romance Bestseller crown. Booktopia invites bestselling author of rural romance Loretta Hill to the stage.
1. Describe the perfect date.
Good food, nice wine, great conversation and of course, a wonderful man. I should say, preferably my husband.
2. Which of your books are you most proud of?
The Girl in Steel-Capped Boots. It was the first book I sold to Random House.
3. What is the hardest thing about being a romance author?
Inventing a new hero who is just as easy to fall in love with as my last but has a different personality.
4. What is the best thing about being a romance author?
Falling in love, again and again and again.
5. Who (aside from a significant other) do you swoon over?
Hugh Jackman or Ryan Reynolds.
7. Describe your writing style in three words.
Funny, pacey and romantic.
8. What is your definition of a good book?
Something that keeps me up all night reading.
9. Which author would you invite to a dinner party and why?
My all time favourite author is Georgette Heyer. Unfortunately, she’s dead, so can’t invite her to dinner. But would have loved to ask her whether she plotted her books or wrote by the seat of her pants the way I do.
10. Finish this sentence: I would do anything for love, but I won’t do_____
…singing in public.
Loretta Hill always wanted to be a writer but her father didn’t see much worth in this pass time and pushed her to pursue a ‘sensible’ career. Fortunately, she had inherited some of his talent for numbers and decided to give it a go. She graduated from the University of Western Australia as structural engineer and took her first job with a major West Australian engineering company. Despite her career in engineering, her interest in law and her journey into motherhood, Loretta continued to write. Not because she had a lot of time but because it was and always had been an addiction she couldn’t ignore. Loretta Hill has since published two bestselling novels.