Auto Body Repair Technology, Sixth Edition, features extensive new and updated material reflecting the latest automotive technology and current industry best practices. In addition to incorporating the current NATEF Collision Repair and Refinish Program Standards and Task Lists, this market-leading text provides detailed information on working with hybrid and electric vehicles, using environmentally friendly water-based paints, and other cutting-edge methods and materials. Celebrated for its clear, reader-friendly explanations and detailed, accurate information, this proven text also includes abundant full-color photos and illustrations to make even complex concepts easier to understand and apply. Available supplements include a tech manual with shop assignments and job sheets, as well as interactive online resources ideal for today’s courses and learners. Providing comprehensive coverage of collision repair—from initial evaluation and estimating, to structural and mechanical repairs, to repainting and refinishing—this trusted text helps readers quickly and confidently learn the skills and procedures they need to succeed as professional automotive technicians.
New to this Edition
About the Author
- This trusted guide has been thoroughly updated and expanded to cover the latest industry trends, technology, and practices, including the current NATEF Collision Repair and Refinish Program Standards and Task Lists.
- A new chapter devoted to hybrid technology service and safety provides detailed information on servicing today’s high-tech hybrid and electric vehicles, including vital safety considerations when working with electric circuits and assemblies that can carry deadly levels of voltage and current.
- The Sixth Edition describes safe, effective procedures for using high-voltage equipment (such as protective clothing and insulated plastic and carbon-fiber hand tools) when working on electric drivelines during major structural repairs to hybrid and electric vehicles.
- Chapter review materials now feature new and revised activities and exercises to reinforce essential math, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills that today’s technicians need for success in this fast-paced field.
- The text explores the special procedures required for effective mixing and application of water-based paints, preparing students for a smooth transition from oil-based paints as more states mandate the use of these materials to reduce VOC emissions into the atmosphere.
James E. Duffy has written many of the top-selling automotive education textbooks on the market today. He is also a noted videographer who has produced over 100 vocational/technical video programs. He possesses a B.S. in industrial electronics and a B.S. in technology education from Indiana State University.
Part I: INTRODUCTION.
1. Collision Repair: Introduction and Careers.
2. Vehicle Construction Technology.
3. Service Information, Specifications, Measurements.
4. Hand Tool Technology.
5. Power Tool Technology.
6. Compressed Air System Technology.
7. Body Shop Materials, and Fastener Technology.
8. Welding Equipment Technology.
9. Shop Safety and Efficiency.
Part II: ESTIMATING.
10. Estimating Repair Costs.
Part III: MINOR REPAIRS.
11. Working Sheet Metal.
12. Using Body Fillers.
13. Repairing Plastics.
14. Hood, Bumper, Fender, Lid, and Trim Service.
15. Door, Roof, and Glass Service.
16. Passenger Compartment Service.
Part IV: MAJOR BODY FRAME REPAIRS.
17. Body/Frame Damage Measurement.
18. UniBody/Frame Realignment.
19. Welded Panel Replacement.
20. Restoring Corrosion Protection.
Part V: MECHANICAL ELECTRICAL REPAIRS.
21. Chassis Service and Wheel Repair.
22. Electrical/Electronic System Operation and Service.
23. Restraint System Operation and Service.
Part VI: REFINISHING.
24. Refinishing Equipment Technology.
25. Vehicle Surface Preparation and Masking.
26. Refinishing Procedures.
27. Color Matching and Custom Painting.
28. Paint Problems and Final Detailing.
Part VII: COLLISION REPAIR PROFESSIONALISM.
29. Job Success and ASE Certification.
30. Hybrid Technology, Service Safety.
Series: Mindtap Course List
Tertiary; University or College
Number Of Pages: 1088
Published: 20th January 2014
Publisher: Cengage Learning, Inc
Country of Publication: US
Dimensions (cm): 28.5 x 22.3
Weight (kg): 2.36
Edition Number: 6
Edition Type: Revised