Click on the Google Preview image above to read some pages of this book!
The Third Edition of Australian Maritime Law by Michael White follows on from the First and the Second editions of which he was the editor and wrote some of the chapters.
In those earlier editions many eminent Australian maritime lawyers contributed chapters from their own point of view but in this new edition the author has tried to bring a consistency of treatment of the topics which flows from the one author writing the entire work.
There are 17 Chapters and they start with Australian Admiralty Jurisdiction and Constitutional Law and work through the Arrest of Ships and the Admiralty Act 1988, Charter Parties, Carriage of Goods, Carriage of Passengers and Marine Insurance and General Average. The chapters then move on to cover Registration of Ships and Securities, Navigation and Ship Safety laws, Maritime Labour Law before then covering the "wet side" of shipping. These chapters cover the topics of Collisions, Marine Inquiries, Salvage and Wreck, Underwater Cultural Heritage, Towage and Pilotage.
The last chapters deal with the Australian international conventions and legislation covering Limitation of Liability, Marine Pollution, Criminal Jurisdiction and ends with the law of Prize and a recommendation that Australia needs to have suitable laws and courts for detaining the ships, cargo and crews in time of conflict.
This edition has been re-written from the second edition published in 2000. Inevitably in that 14-year period there has been statutory change and developing case law.
These matters and others are skillfully interwoven in this 700 odd page edition. Read full review... - Cahal Fairfield, InPrint, Law Institute Journal Victoria, November 2014
About the Author
Table of Acronyms
Table of Cases
Table of Statutes
1. Admiralty Jurisdiction and Australian Constitutional Background
2. Admiralty Jurisdiction; Admiralty Act 1988; Actions in Rem; Arrest of Ships; Maritime Liens; Priorities
3. Charter Parties and Contracts of Affreightment
4. Carriage of Goods
5. Carriage of Passengers
6. Marine Insurance; General Average
7. Ownership; Registration; Securities
8. Navigation; Shipping; Safety
9. Maritime Labour Law
10. Marine Collisions and Groundings; Marine Inquiries
11. Salvage; Wreck; Underwater Cultural Heritage
14. Limitation of Liability
15. Marine Pollution: Ships and Offshore Platforms
16. Criminal Jurisdiction; Piracy
17. Prize, Prize Salvage, Bounty and Ransom
ISBN: 9781862879508 ISBN-10: 1862879508 Audience:
Tertiary; University or College
Number Of Pages: 768 Published: 31st March 2014 Publisher: Federation Press Country of Publication: AU Weight (kg): 0.85
Edition Number: 3 Edition Type: New edition