This new edition of Australia's most comprehensive book on anti-discrimination law has been fully revised and updated, re-written and reformatted to enhance its accessibility. It continues to offer both a substantial text for a specialist audience, and a powerful critique of anti-discrimination law in Australia.
The authors support their analysis and explanation of legislation and case law with carefully-selected extracts from a broad range of decisions, law reform reports, and academic writers and commentators.Key Features of the New EditionRevised introduction to and overview of Australian anti-discrimination law.
New stand alone chapters for Protected Attributes:
- Race Discrimination, Sex Discrimination, Disability Discrimination, Age Discrimination, Carers' Responsibilities and Other Protected Attributes.
- Detailed account of legislative reform and developments in case law, in all nine jurisdictions, up to late 2017.
- An account of changed complaints procedures under the Australian Human Rights Commission Act, and of the case law and public debate that triggered the changes.
- Comprehensive analysis of the operation of special measures provisions in all of the anti-discrimination statutes.
- Integrated discussion of the exceptions to the prohibition of discrimination for each attribute and in each area.
Australian anti-discrimination & equal opportunity law contains a detailed analysis of the anti- discrimination legislation across Australia. With each jurisdiction having its own Act, it is an important reference point for practitioners in all jurisdictions. The authors are regarded as experts in the field, and their combined expertise is apparent from the level of detail included about the various topics. The chapters include useful historical information about the development of various aspects of the legislation which exposes the theoretical underpinnings of the law as it stands today. The authors critique various aspects of the legislation and also consider its broader implications. The text has a strong academic flavour; however, this does not distract from the practical significance of the topics discussed. This text is user-friendly and provides a valuable reference tool for legal practitioners practising in the anti-discrimination jurisdiction. It is perhaps the most comprehensive textbook on anti-discrimination law in Australia. The chapters begin with a background and an overview to the legislation before exploring the context and the content of discriminatory practices. The themes traversed are central to the practice of law in this area. - Queensland Law Reporter - 6 April 2018 -  13 QLR
Foreword to the Third Edition by The Hon Justice Chris Maxwell AC, President of the Victorian Court of AppealPreface to the Third Edition Acknowledgments Abbreviations Legislation Websites Table of Cases Table of Statutes
1. Background to Australian Anti-Discrimination and Equal Opportunity Law
2. Overview of Australian Anti-Discrimination and Equal Opportunity Law
3. Direct and Indirect Discrimination
4. Positive Approaches to Non-Discrimination
5. Race Discrimination
6. Sex Discrimination
7. Disability Discrimination
8. Age Discrimination
9. Carers' Responsibility Discrimination
10. Other Protected Attributes
11. Areas of Unlawful Discrimination
17. Discrimination in the Fair Work Act
Tertiary; University or College
Number Of Pages: 1088
Published: 27th February 2018
Publisher: Federation Press
Country of Publication: AU
Dimensions (cm): 23.5 x 15.9
Weight (kg): 1.68
Edition Number: 3
Edition Type: New edition