'This book is an excellent guide for human resource personnel who can tap unto pool of dedicated workers. Overall this is a good book for persons diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome and high functioning autism to better understand themselves. It is also an educational guide for vocational counselors and human resource personnel as it provides in-dept guidance about these potential dedicated employees.'
- OAARSN Book Reviews
'This practice manual will enable people diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and high functioning autism to deepen their self understanding and appreciate their value as working individuals. The workbook contains practical exercises with clear explanations and examples of how to use them... A personal wish list.'
'The text is written in an accessible, non-academic style and provides useful background information on Asperger syndrome and the problems individuals may encounter. It contains a useful bibliography and Internet resource section. Although it is concerned with people with Asperger syndrome, there is much that is relevant to others with cognitive impairments.
This text would be a useful purchase for those working in supported employment and for university libraries.'
- British Journal of Occupational Therapy
This practical manual will enable people diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome and high functioning autism to deepen their self-understanding and appreciate their value as working individuals. Through step-by-step self-assessment, the reader is encouraged to engage actively in a self-paced exploration of their employment history, and ultimately to identify the work best suited to their personal needs, talents and strengths. The workbook contains practical exercises, with clear explanations and examples of how to use them. It leads the reader to identify and explore:
* three jobs they have held in different life periods
* their interests, skills and talents, and their application to work
* their style of learning and style of work
* the social skills required by specific jobs, as identified by other people than the autobiographer
* the AS characteristics which further and impede work performance
* successful and unsuccessful survival strategies
* issues around diagnosis and disclosure which affect life at work and outside it
* creative problem solving for the present and the future - a personal wish list.
Asperger Syndrome Employment Workbook will also be an essential guide for professionals, career advisors and vocational counsellors as it provides in-depth guidance and research on fulfilling employment for adults and adolescents with Asperger Syndrome and high functioning autism.
Number Of Pages: 320
Published: 15th December 2000
Publisher: JESSICA KINGSLEY PUBLISHERS
Country of Publication: GB
Dimensions (cm): 24.6 x 17.3 x 2.54
Weight (kg): 0.53