This textbook aligns the basic science of anatomy and physiology with the applied art and science of communication disorders. The content is approached from a clinical perspective so that students understand the application of the content. Applied Anatomy and Physiology for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology is unique for its presentation of elementary and introductory anatomy and physiology in a framework of clinical practice.
- A clinical approach helps students understand anatomy and physiology within the framework of clinical practice so that the relationship between anatomy and physiology and application of the content can be seen almost immediately.
- Clinical Teasers present case study scenarios that introduce the clinical approach and help put the content in context for students to reinforce learning.
- Chapters on pathology and its relationship to anatomy and physiology allow the student to understand the full scope of the subject.
- Why You Need to Know boxes offer the student a brief description of pathology to put the anatomy and physiology into context.
- Objectives at the beginning of each chapter highlight American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) competencies and help students identify content that will assist them in meeting knowledge or skill competencies.
- Part Review Questions: Each part will end with critical thinking, fill-in-the-blank, and matching questions to give the student the opportunity to test knowledge of anatomy and physiology and their ability to apply that knowledge.
Part I Terminology, Nomenclature, and Basic Concepts
Chapter 1 An Overview
Chapter 2 Understanding the Terminology and Nomenclature
Chapter 3 Structural Organization of Humans
Part I Summary
Part I Review Questions
Part II The Nervous System
Chapter 4 Anatomy and Physiology of the Nervous System
Chapter 5 Pathologies Associated with the Nervous System
Part II Summary
Part II Review Questions
Part II References
Part III The Respiratory System
Chapter 6 Anatomy and Physiology of the Respiratory System
Chapter 7 Pathologies Associated with the Respiratory System
Part III Summary
Part III Review Questions
Part III References
Part IV The Phonatory System
Chapter 8 Anatomy and Physiology of the Phonatory System
Chapter 9 Pathologies Associated with the Phonatory System
Part IV Summary
Part IV Review Questions
Part IV References
Part V The Articulatory/Resonance System
Chapter 10 Anatomy and Physiology of the Articulatory/Resonance System
Chapter 11 Pathologies Associated with the Articulatory/Resonance System
Part V Summary
Part V Review Questions
Part V References
Part VI The Auditory / Vestibular System
Chapter 12 Anatomy and Physiology of the Auditory/Vestibular System
Chapter 13 Pathologies Associated with the Auditory/Vestibular System
Part VI Summary
Part VI Review Questions
Terms and affixes to assist you in learning the meanings of anatomical and physiological words
Terms and prefixes used to describe movement
Terms and affixes used to denote anatomical structures or their parts
Terms and prefixes used to describe color, form, general location, relative size, or shape
Terms and affixes used in reference to bones, cartilages, cavities, membranes, or spaces
Terms and affixes used in reference to the nervous system
Terms and prefixes used in reference to the auditory/vestibular system
Miscellaneous terms and affixes used in anatomy, physiology, and pathology
Number Of Pages: 432
Published: 17th January 2011
Country of Publication: US
Dimensions (cm): 27.69 x 21.59
Weight (kg): 1.19
Edition Number: 1