From the editor of the popular "Annotated Pride and Prejudice" comes an annotated edition of Jane Austen's "Persuasion "that makes the beloved novel an even more satisfying and fulfilling read. Here is the complete text of "Persuasion "with hundreds of annotations on facing pages, including:
● Explanations of historical context
● Citations from Austen's life, letters, and other writings
● Definitions and clarifications
● Literary comments and analysis
● Plentiful maps and illustrations
● An introduction, a bibliography, and a detailed chronology of events
Packed with all kinds of illuminating information--from what Bath and Lyme looked like at the time to how "bathing machines" at seaside resorts were used to how Wentworth could have made a fortune from the Napoleonic Wars--David M. Shapard's delightfully entertaining edition brings Austen's novel of second chances vividly to life.