From the discovery of America to the war in the Persian Gulf, Tad Tuleja chronologically offers 100 sayings and events, using each as a lens through which to view America at that time.
History is fascinating, but with all those pesky people, places, and dates floating in memory limbo, it’s tough to remember enough to have it all make sense. Tad Tuleja has solved that problem by taking American history’s most famous thoughts and phrases and succinctly explaining the events they describe. Arranged chronologically, with three informative appendices and hundreds of tidbits of off-beat information, American History in 100 Nutshells is a fast, thorough, and entertaining walk through the hallowed halls of history. You’ll learn the history behind such terms and sayings as:
• These are the times that try men’s souls
• The shot heard ‘round the world
• Our country right or wrong
• To the victor belongs the spoils
• The Trail of Tears
• The Underground Railroad
• Manifest Destiny
• John Brown’s body lies a’mouldering in the grave
• Jim Crow laws
• A splendid little war
• The Hundred Days
• 205 card-carrying communists
• Don’t trust anyone over 30
• And much more!