Click on the cover image above to read some pages of this book!
A HISTORY OF ROMAN ART, ENHANCED EDITION is a lavishly-illustrated survey of the art of Rome and the Roman Empire from the time of Romulus to the death of Constantine, presented in its historical, political, and social context. This ENHANCED EDITION has added coverage on Etruscan art in the beginning of the text. All aspects of Roman art and architecture are treated, including private art and domestic architecture, the art of the Eastern and Western provinces, the art of freedmen, and the so-called minor arts, including cameos, silverware, and coins. The book is divided into four parts-Monarchy and Republic, Early Empire, High Empire, and Late Empire-and traces the development of Roman art from its beginnings in the 8th century BCE to the mid fourth century CE, with special chapters devoted to Pompeii and Herculaneum, Ostia, funerary and provincial art and architecture, and the earliest Christian art.
The original edition of this text was warmly received in the market based on a high level of scholarship, comprehensive contents, and superb visuals.
INTRODUCTION: ITALY BEFORE THE RISE OF ROME.
PART I: MONARCH AND REPUBLIC.
1. From Village to World Capital.
2. Republican Town Planning and Pompeii.
3. Republican Domestic Architecture and Mural Painting.
4. From Marcellus to Caesar.
Part II: THE EARLY EMPIRE.
5. The Augustan Principate.
6. Preparing for the Afterlife during the Early Empire.
7. The Pax Augusta in the West.
8. The Julio-Claudian Dynasty.
9. Civil War, the Flavians, and Nerva.
10. Pompeii and Herculaneum in the First Century CE.
Part III: THE HIGH EMPIRE.
11. Trajan, Optimus Princeps.
12. Hadrian the Philhellene.
13. The Antonines.
14. Ostia, Port and Mirror of Rome.
15. Burying the Dead during the High Empire.
Part IV: THE LATE EMPIRE.
16. The Severan Dynasty.
17. Lepcis Magna and the Eastern Provinces.
18. The Soldier Emperors.
19. The Tetrarchy.
20. Constantine, Emperor and Christian Patron.
ISBN: 9780495909873 ISBN-10: 0495909874 Audience:
Tertiary; University or College
Number Of Pages: 384 Published: 4th February 2010 Publisher: Cengage Learning, Inc Country of Publication: US Dimensions (cm): 27.5 x 23.0
Weight (kg): 1.11
Edition Number: 1 Edition Type: New edition