Building on the success and popularity of books such as The Man Who Made Things Out of Trees and Norwegian Wood, 50 Things to Do with a Penknife is a beautifully presented, practical gift guide to the age-old art of whittling.
The 50 projects featured in the book are divided into 8 main themes:
- Quick Things - including a doorstop, a bookmark and a fire poker
- Ornamental - including a boat, a bangle and chess pieces
- Creature Comforts - including a horse's head, crow and whale
- Around The House - including clothes pegs, chopsticks and a recipe stand
- Into The Woods - including a whistle, walking stick, meat smoker and fish hook
- Elaborate Carvings - including a spoon, spinning top and a penny box
- The Natural World - including a bird feeder and flowerbed markers
- Cork Creation - including a succulent pot and ornamental cork
The projects cater for a range of skill levels and the instructions are complemented by smart step-by-step illustrations, which highlight the tactile quality of the material in hand.
Featuring the ultimate crossover of cool craftsmanship and savvy survival-skill projects, this book is the perfect gift for creative adventurers.
About the Author
Matt Collins is a writer and hoticultural consultant with a particular interest in the subjects of trees and landscape. Linking an extensive arboricultural knowledge with his passion for traditional hand carving, Matt has developed a close relationship with wood as both a living and crafting medium.