Click on the cover image above to read some pages of this book!
At last, an optimistic and friendly book about our human possibilities in the time of automata.
30-Second AI & Robotics will help the reader to navigate the world of ubiquitous computers, smart cities, and collaborative robots.
This comprehensive presentation of the core concepts and historical landmarks in robotics and artificial intelligence is a must-read for those who want to understand the important changes happening now in our everyday lives, in the workplace, and in our minds and bodies. What is deep in “deep learning”? Can artificial intelligence really think? What will robots really look like in the near future? Is there a new class divide between those who understand technology and those who fear it?
A clear and exhaustive introduction for non-specialists, 30-Second AI & Robotics will help the reader to navigate the world of ubiquitous computers, smart cities, and collaborative robots. At last, an optimistic and friendly book about our human possibilities in the time of automata.
About the Editor
Luis de Miranda,PhD (University of Edinburgh), is a philosopher and historian of ideas who has carried out research into anthrobotics, digital cultures and how technology is enmeshed with our everyday life. He is the author of several fiction as well as non-fiction books, for example L’Art d’être libres au temps des automates (The Art of Freedom in the Time of Automata). He works on AI and digital humanities at Örebro University, Sweden.
Chapter 1: Fictional & Historical Robots
1. The Golem & Magic
2. Jacquet Droz & Eighteenth-Century Automatons
3. Karel Kapec's First Robots'
4. Metropolis & the Gynoid Maria
Profile: Isaac Asimov
5. Hal 9000 in 2001: A Space Odyssey
6. Grey Walter's Turtles
7. Terminator & Skynet
Chapter 2: Artificial Intelligence & Computers
8. The Turing Test
9. Famous Intelligent Computers
Profile: Alan Turing
10. Machine Learning (Neural Networks)
11. Video Games & AI
2. Language Recognition & Translation
13. Embodied AI & Cognition
14. Art & AI
15. Can Machines Think?
Chapter 3: Industrial, Corporate & Institutional AI & Robotics Glossary
16. Unimate, the First Industrial Robot
17. Expert & Security Systems
18. AI in Banking & Finance
19. Medical AI & Robot-assisted Surgery
Profile: Rodney Brooks
20. Military AI & Robotics
21. Aerial Robotics
22. Space Exploration Robots & AI
23. AI in the Entertainment Business
Chapter 4: Social Robotics
24. Human-robot Interaction
25. Home Robots & Smart Homes
26. Autonomous Cars
27. Robots for the Elderly & People with Special Needs
28. Smart Assistants & Literate' Machines
29. Humanoid Robots
30. Chat Bots
31. AI in Education
32. Can Machines Have Common Sense, Cultural Awareness & Morality?
37. Virtual Reality
38. Mind Uploading
39. Transhumanism & the Singularity
Chapter 6: Collective Robotics & AI
40. Multi-Robot Systems
41. Collective AI & Cloud Robotics
42. Robots & AI Competitions
Profile: Geoffrey Hinton
44. The Internet of Things
45. Evolutionary & Biometric AI & Robotics
46. Is the Internet a Hive Mind?
Chapter 7: We, Anthrobot
47. Industry 4.0
48. The Three Laws of Robotics
49. Extended Minds
Profile: Hubert Dreyfus
50. The Merging of Robots, AI & Humans?
Notes on Contributors
Index & Acknowledgements
ISBN: 9781782405474 ISBN-10: 178240547X Series: 30 Second Audience:
Number Of Pages: 160 Published: 1st May 2019 Publisher: The Ivy Press Country of Publication: GB Dimensions (cm): 23.0 x 18.0
Weight (kg): 0.54