100 Facts Plant Life contains key topics about the plant kingdom in mind-blowing numbered facts. Each fact is accompanied by beautiful illustrations and photographs, which add visual meaning to the information for kids. This is a fascinating plant book for kids aged 7+.
Essential topics covered in 100 Facts Plant Life:
• The seven functions of a plant, which include photosynthesis and pollination
• Plants in different environments such as forests, jungles and underwater
• Animal friends, enemies and how plants use their appearance as a trap
Examples of 'I don't believe it' fascinating facts:
• Squirting cucumbers can shoot their seeds 5 metres away. Their seedpods are full of water and explode at the slightest touch.
• Nearly half of all the trees that are cut down are used to make paper – more than 300 million tonnes every year.
• Sea otters wrap strands of giant kelp around themselves so they don't float away while feeding on sea urchins or resting.
Activities to make learning accessible and interactive include:
• Sprinkle mustard or cress seeds on a damp piece of cotton wool and leave on a saucer in a warm place – the seeds will start to germinate after a day
• Light and dark! Find out the effect of sunlight and lack of sunlight on a living plant by placing a piece of card on a leaf and looking at what happens after a few days.
• Quiz question: Roots grow towards light. True or false?
Series: 100 Facts
For Ages: 7 - 11 years old
For Grades: 2 - 6
Number Of Pages: 40
Published: 1st January 2014
Publisher: Miles Kelly Publishing Ltd
Country of Publication: GB
Dimensions (cm): 29.7 x 22.8
Weight (kg): 0.52