100 Facts British History includes key topics about the British Empire's history in easily-digestible, numbered facts. Information is accompanied by amazing illustrations and photographs to give context to history for kids. A great-value introduction to British history books for kids aged 7+ years.
Topics covered in 100 Facts British History:
• Ancient wars, settlements and peoples such as the Vikings.
• The famous Norman Conquest and life in the Middle Ages.
• Nineteenth-century industrial Britain and the rule of Queen Victoria.
'I don't believe it' fascinating facts:
• The Romans' secret weapon of war was... a tortoise! 'Tortoise' was the name given to a group of soldiers who crouched under linking shields to attack a hill fort.
• To the Vikings, 'beserk' meant 'bearskin shirt', as worn by warriors who worked themselves up into a frenzy before going into battle!
• When he was a student at Cambridge, Oliver Cromwell was more famous as a football player than as a politician.
Activities to make learning accessible and interactive:
• Make Celtic coins using coins, heavy card, a black felt-tip pen, and silver and gold paint.
• Quiz question: The Spanish Armada was defeated by the English. True or false?
• Put on your own Victorian Punch and Judy show with puppets made from card and ice-lolly sticks.
Series: 100 Facts
For Ages: 7 - 11 years old
For Grades: 2 - 6
Number Of Pages: 48
Published: 1st January 2014
Publisher: Miles Kelly Publishing Ltd
Country of Publication: GB
Dimensions (cm): 29.7 x 22.8
Weight (kg): 0.258