Raising a teenager is tough, but when you suspect that your kid is abusing substances, and is possibly addicted, it can feel unmanageable—and it can be hard to know where to find sound advice. You are not alone.
Author George E. Leary Jr., M.A., was a longtime youth social worker when his eldest son became an addict. Through this heart wrenching experience, he changed his life’s path and committed to working with teens with substance abuse problems. In this straightforward and compassionate guide, he applies his personal experience and expertise to explain
• the warning signs of alcohol or drug addiction;
• how to intervene and find treatment for both the teen and the family;
• the nature and biology of addiction, and its cause and effect on developing brains and bodies;
• the co-occurring mental health issues common to teenagers;
• the role of family in enabling behavior;
• the types of treatment, including the Twelve Step model; and
• the role of drugs and alcohol in increasing teen suicide rates.
What’s Wrong with My Kid? reveals that you aren’t alone and that steps can be taken to put your family back together.
Number Of Pages: 288
Published: 15th May 2012
Publisher: Hazelden Publishing & Educational Services
Dimensions (cm): 22.9 x 15.2 x 2.3
Weight (kg): 0.499