With their children grown and flown, Mike and Jo Hannan discover that it’s never too late to live the dream and embark on an epic tour of Europe and beyond on a 1150cc BMW motorbike called ‘Elephant’.
With a limited budget, and all the essentials packed, they hit the road. Journeying through sunshine and rain, over good roads and bad, they explore France, Spain, North Africa, Russia and other former Soviet countries, Mongolia and Korea, taking in all kinds of sights and meeting all kinds of people. Along the way they also learn the difference between a tourist and a voyageur, and come to understand the deep universal significance of their journey.
This book is a record of that journey, and your ticket to ride with the Hannans for the adventure, sharing the observations and reflections, tasting the fine local food and drink (and a few dishes that were not so fine!), and experiencing all the delightful surprises and unforeseen obstacles such as mechanical faults, visa problems, and very nasty weather! An unforgettable journey that will leave you thirsting to live your own dream.
• An epic travelogue with a difference – Long Way Round (Ewan McGregor & Charley Boorman book/TV series) without the support team!
• Anyone who loves and understands motorbikes will love this book, as the bike features prominently in the narrative. Anyone who knows little about motorbikes is sure to understand and appreciate them a lot more after reading this book.
• All the little details put you right in their motorbike boots and give you a taste of what being on the road on two wheels is really like.
• Maps and 16 pages of colour photographs bring the journey to life for readers.
• Inspiring ‘go for it’, ‘live the dream’, ‘life is short, just do it’-theme.
• Many humorous moments with cultural misunderstandings etc.
• Many interesting cultural, historical, political and social observations on places visited, making the book an eye-opening read.
About the Author
Mike Hannan was born in mid-western NSW and educated in Sydney. He was conscripted in 1970 and remained in the Army after his National Service rising to become one of only eight ex-conscripts to achieve "star" rank. His military career was punctuated with periods of work in other industries. He managed a professional football team, worked for the United Nations in Syria and Israel and managed companies that manufacture ceramic armour and plastics.
Mike came to public attention during the Australian involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan as the media face of the Defence Force. He understands media and promotion and is a polished media performer. He has been a key-note speaker at many conferences.
Mike has a degree in Business and a Masters degree in Business Administration.
Mike and Jo have been married for more than 35 years and have two adult children.
Reviewed by 1 customer
Number Of Pages: 272
Published: 1st May 2012
Dimensions (cm): 24.0 x 16.5 x 2.8
Weight (kg): 0.567