The Big Picture is written to support delivery of the Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care. It provides students with a practical introduction to working in a children’s service and will help them understand the relationship between theory and best practice.
This new edition covers the following key areas:
About the Author
- Complying – includes the National Quality Framework - the National Regulations, the National Law and the National Quality Standards as well as the Early Years Learning Framework.
- Working and work health and safety – reflects on the educator’s role in the workplace, educator-to-child ratios and organisational structures, maintaining a safe and healthy workplace as well as teamwork and communication.
- Maintaining children’s health, safety and wellbeing – addresses the importance of providing safe environments for children and strategies for maintaining children’s health and wellbeing. This includes awareness of child protection procedures for children at risk.
- Supporting diversity – looks at inclusive practices that support diversity in children’s education and care environments as well as specific considerations in relation to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families.
- Caring for infants, toddlers and children – an overview of providing nurturing care that meets the physical and emotional needs of children, nurturing settings, responsive communication with children and routine physical care.
- Developing positive relationships with children – focuses on the importance of mutually respectful relationships with children and their families.
- Supporting sustainability – looks at strategies for assisting children to connect with and respect their environment.
Karen is the founder of an RTO specialising in child care and has been actively involved in early childhood education as a teacher, Children’s Services Advisor, lecturer and consultant. She is co-author of several early childhood texts and has a special interest in the management of children’s services.
1. Complying with Regulatory Frameworks
2. Working in Children's Education and Care Services
3. Work Health & Safety
4. Ensuring Children's Wellbeing, Health & Safety
5. Supporting Cultural Diversity
6. Caring for Infants and Toddlers
7. Caring for Preschool Children
8. Learning to get Along with Others
9. Supporting Sustainability
Tertiary; University or College
Published: 1st February 2014
Publisher: Pearson Education Australia
Edition Number: 3