Roam ancient ruins, immerse yourself in the thriving modern metropolis of Bangkok, or find your very own piece of paradise on the tropical islands of the south, the Kingdom of Thailand offers travellers this and much more. Footprint's 8th edition guide has been fully updated to help you navigate through the land where Buddhism meets hedonism; hike the mountains of Mae Hong Son, dive the unspoilt Similian islands or spend your nights partying in Koh Phangan.
About the Author
- Comprehensive listings, whether you want to go trekking in the north, learn how to cook the best pad thai or get some well-earned R&R
- Fantastic background and history section to help travellers really get to know this culturally rich and beautiful destination * Eating, sleeping and drinking listings for every budget
- Features information on how to get there and how to get around plus carefully planned itineraries to help you have the best possible experience whether you're travelling for one week or one month
- The heart of the guide is broken in to the key regions of Thailand and gives you comprehensive information on each of these regions
- Each regional section has an overview map, local information on how to get around with transport and street maps where relevant, a short history of the region, thorough advice on what to see and do and a directory of key local information on banks, embassies, internet cafes, medical and services
- Full-colour mini atlas to help you get your bearings and plan your journeys From the hill peoples and forested highlands of the north to the glorious islands in the south, Footprint's fully updated 8th edition will help you get to the heart of the ancient kingdom of Thailand.
Andrew Spooner is a feature, travel and sports writer and photographer. His work appears regularly in the British national newspapers Independent on Sunday, The Independent, The Guardian, The Observer as well as CNN Traveller, GQ magazine and Bike. Broadcast activity includes regular appearances as a Southeast Asia and travel expert for Sky News as well as reporting on breaking news stories in the region for the British media. He has also taught Media and journalism, part time, at the University of East London. In his previous life Andrew travelled through the underbelly of Europe with various punk rock bands and he still likes loud music played badly. After travelling to Thailand in 1989, Andrew developed a fascination with the country and now shares his time between Bangkok and London. Andrew is also the author of Footprint's Southeast Asia and Cambodia guidebooks.
(1) Planning your trip; 2) Essentials; 3) Bangkok; 4) Central Thailand; 5) Northern Thailand; 6) Northeastern Thailand; 7) Eastern Thailand; 8) Andaman Coast; 9) Gulf of Thailand; 10) Background