Principles of Contract Law, 4th Edition remains Australia’s premier text for students of contract law. The new edition has been significantly revised in light of recent developments.
The book has been thoroughly updated in light of the Australian Consumer Law, and includes discussion of the new regimes regulating unfair contract terms, misleading and deceptive conduct, unconscionable dealing and consumer guarantees. Recent amendments to the Electronic Transactions Acts are discussed in the Agreement chapter (Ch 3).
New developments in case law are discussed throughout the book, including:
- consideration and the intention to be bound: Atco Controls Pty Ltd (in liq) v Newtronics Pty Ltd (recs & mgrs apptd) (in liq)  VSCA 238; (2009) 25 VR 411;
- certainty and agreements to negotiate in good faith: United Group Rail Services Limited v Rail Corporation New South Wales  NSWCA 177; (2009) 74 NSWLR 618;
- promissory estoppel and the parol evidence rule: Saleh v Romanous  NSWCA 274;
- damages for rectification: Tabcorp Holdings Ltd v Bowen Investments Pty Ltd  HCA 8; (2009) 236 CLR 272;
- the rule against penalties: Interstar Wholesale Finance Pty Ltd v Integral Home Loans Pty Ltd  NSWCA 310;
- restrictions on the right to terminate – readiness and willingness: Sharjade Pty Ltd v Commonwealth  NSWCA 373;
- restrictions on the right to terminate – estoppel: W & R Pty Ltd v Birdseye  SASC 321; (2008) 102 SASR 477;
- restrictions on the right to terminate – waiver: Agricultural and Rural Finance Pty Ltd v Gardiner  HCA 57; (2008) 238 CLR 570;
- statutory illegality: Master Education Services Pty Ltd v Ketchell  HCA 38; (2008) 236 CLR 101 and Zurich Australia Insurance Ltd v Metals & Minerals Insurance Pty Ltd  HCA 50; (2009) 240 CLR 391; and
- restraint of trade: Miles v Genesys Wealth Advisors Ltd  NSWCA 25 and BB Australia Pty Ltd v Karioi Pty Ltd  NSWCA 347.