The new Mathematics General syllabus describes two pathways that start in Year 11. Even though both pathways share a common Preliminary course, students taking each pathway have specific learning needs, so we have published two levels of text for both Years 11 and 12.
First published in 2000 and revised in 2009, New Century Maths 11 (Pathway 2) has been revised again for the new Mathematics General course commencing in NSW in 2013. This book is produced especially for students who have completed some or all of Stage 5.2(especially in algebra and trigonometry), and are heading towards the Mathematics General 2 HSC course in Year 12, ATAR and university study. This is the more traditional and academic pathway of the updated course. The printed book is supported by an interactive NelsonNetBook version of the text. Students and teachers will have access to a range of useful resources on the password-protected NelsonNet website.
To download a sample chapter, ‘Driving safely’, click the Download Sample Material button.
The corresponding Year 12 text, New Century Maths 12 General Mathematics 2 HSC Course, will be available in mid 2013. Please visit www.newcenturymaths.com.au for updates or contact your local sales representative for more details.
About the Author
- Each chapter begins with a Chapter Outline that includes syllabus outcomes and codes, a Terminology word list and a SkillCheck exercise reviewing prerequisite skills
- Graded exercises are linked to worked examples and include multiple-choice questions, HSC-style questions and realistic applications
- Investigations explore the syllabus in more detail, through group work, discovery and modelling activities
- Technology promotes ICT in the classroom, using spreadsheets, graphics calculators and the Internet
- Just for the record contains interesting facts and applications of the mathematics learned in a chapter
- Each chapter ends with a Sample HSC problem, Study Tip and Topic Overview including a mind map exercise and a set of revision exercises
- Practice papers after every three chapters revise the skills and knowledge of those chapters
- Syllabus grid and codes, glossary, answers and index included
- The NelsonNet teacher portal and NelsonNetBook are available to schools that use New Century Maths as a core resource
- NelsonNetBook is the digital version of the textbook that can be customised for different groups of students. Teachers and students can add notes, voice and sound bites,highlighting, weblinks and bookmarks. The NelsonNetBook is compatible with laptops, tablets and interactive whiteboards
Margaret Willard has taught at numerous TAFE colleges and high schools for 35 years, as well as with OTEN (Open Training and Education Network). Margaret has extensive experience writing and reviewing units of work. She has also served on the executive of MANSW and managed its post-secondary programs.
Robert Yen has taught at the selective Hurlstone Agricultural High School and at Eagle Vale and Ambarvale high schools in southwest Sydney. He conducts workshops for HSC students, writes and presents regularly for MANSW and has co-edited its journal, Reflections. He now works for Cengage Learning as an associate publisher and series editor.