Ideal for students, entry-level technicians, and experienced professionals, this fully updated Fifth Edition of Medium/Heavy Duty Truck Engines, Fuel & Computerized Management Systems is the most comprehensive guide to highway diesel engines and their management systems available today. This user-friendly, full color resource covers the full range of commercial vehicle engines, from light- to heavy-duty, as well as the most current management electronics used in the industry.
The Fifth Edition features expanded coverage of natural gas (NG) fuel systems and controls (LPG and CNG), after treatment devices, and the most recent revisions to J1939 and chassis CAN bus electronics. Set apart from any other book on the market by its emphasis on the modern multiplexed chassis, this practical, wide-ranging guide helps students prepare for career success in the dynamic field of diesel engine service.
New to this Edition
About the Author
- Extensive updates that reflect the latest diesel and natural gas (NG) engines, computerized management systems, after treatment systems, and multiplexing, prepare students for success in the ever-evolving world of diesel engine service.
- New material provides thorough coverage of important topics, such as the management of CNG and LNG engines, single and dual actuator EUI systems, traditional and amplified CR systems, biodiesel and alternate fuel systems, exhaust/after treatment systems, and cutting-edge troubleshooting and diagnostics.
- A new, stronger emphasis on universal principles and practices prepares students to confidently perform a wide array of service tasks involving engines and systems by today’s leading manufacturers, including Bosch, Detroit Diesel, Caterpillar, Cummins, Navistar, Paccar, and Volvo/Mack.
- Now in full color.
Sean Bennett is a former program coordinator for the Truck and Diesel Department at Centennial College, as well as a former corporate trainer for Mack Trucks. During a 20-year tenure at the college he authored new curricula, helped overhaul existing course offerings, and chaired a wide range of curriculum development committees for the Province of Ontario. Bennett has written more than 30 books dealing with diesel, truck, heavy equipment, and automotive technology and currently devotes his career to technical writing and speaking engagements. He is an active member of the American Trucking Association’s Technology and Maintenance Council, the Association of Diesel Specialists, the Society of Automotive Engineers, and the North American Council of Automotive Teachers. He is widely regarded as the foremost author in medium/heavy duty truck technology.
Part I: DIESEL ENGINE FUNDAMENTALS.
2. Hand and Shop Tools.
3. Personal Safety Equipment.
4. Engine Fundamentals.
5. History of the Heat Engine.
7. Diesel Engine Powertrain Assemblies.
8. Diesel Engine Feedback Assembly.
9. Engine Housing Components.
10. Diesel Engine Lubrication Systems.
11. Engine Cooling Systems.
12. Engine Breathing.
13. Engine Retarders.
14. Engine Service Procedure.
15. Diesel Engine Removal, Disassembly, Cleaning, Inspection, and Reassembly.
16. Diesel Engine Run-in and Performance Testing.
Part II: DIESEL FUEL SYSTEMS.
17. Chemistry and Combustion in Diesel Engines.
18. Diesel Fuel Characteristics.
19. Fuel Sub Systems.
20. Fuel Injection Basics and Governor Principles.
21. Injector Nozzles.
22. Port Helix Metering Fuel Systems.
23. Inlet Metering Rotary Distributor Pumps.
24. Sleeve Metering Rotary Distributor Pumps.
25. Single Actuator EUI Fuel Systems.
26. Twin Actuator EUI Fuel Systems.
27. HEUI Fuel System.
28. Electronic Unit Pump (EUP) Fuel Systems.
29. HPI-TP Fuel System.
30. Common Rail Fuel Systems.
31. Amplified CR Systems.
Part III: ENGINE MANAGEMENT, ALTERNATE POWER, AND EMISSIONS.
32. Review of Electrical and Electronics Fundamentals.
33. Networking and Communications in the Trucking Industry.
34. Vehicle Computers.
35. ESTs and SIS.
36. Electrical Wiring, Connector, and Terminal Repair.
38. Natural Gas (CNG and LPG), Biodiesel, and Alternate Fuels.
39. Electric and Hydraulic Hybrid Drives.
40. Bosch EDC Systems.
41. Caterpillar ADEM Management Systems.
42. Cummins Management Systems.
43. Detroit Diesel DDEC - Management Systems.
44. Navistar Management Systems.
45. Paccar Management Systems.
46. Volvo and Mack Management Systems.
47. Emissions Management.
48. Exhaust After-treatment Systems.
49. Failure Analysis.
50. Troubleshooting and Diagnostics.
Tertiary; University or College
Number Of Pages: 1008
Published: 28th December 2015
Publisher: Cengage Learning, Inc
Country of Publication: US
Dimensions (cm): 27.7 x 22.4
Weight (kg): 2.4
Edition Number: 5
Edition Type: Revised