For over 30 years, students, academics and professionals have relied on Macken’s Law of Employment as one of Australia’s most respected works in employment law. This 7th edition continues in that tradition. Authored by a distinguished team of experts, the carefully selected topics and case extracts along with the scholarly commentary ensure reputable guidance on common law and equitable principles as they affect contracts of employment.
Major developments incorporated into the 7th edition include:
- Comprehensive revisions to include all developments concerning termination of employment, including both common law and statutory provisions.
- A new chapter dedicated to the relationship between the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth) and employment contracts.
- Revisions to recognise the enactment of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth).
- Incorporation of important new case law.
- Discussion of the significant reform at the federal level of statutory rights in the areas of unfair dismissal, protection of workplace rights, freedom of association and the right to participate in lawful industrial activities. This discussion will assist students and practitioners alike in sifting through the prolific range of causes of action now available under the federal regime.
- A recognition of the increasing reach of the federal regime, following the referral of powers over industrial relations by all States other than WA, making it crucial for readers to be across the federal law.
The objective of this book, and undeniably its greatest strength, is to provide expert and up-to-date commentary on this continually evolving area of law. It is an essential tool for those studying or working in employment law.
1. Employment Law in Australia
2. The Relationship of Employer and Employee
3. Vicarious Employment
4. Formation of a Contract of Employment
5. Performance of the Contract of Employment
6. The Employment Relationship and Statutory Restrictions (new)
7. Suspension and Stand Down
8. The Employer’s right to Terminate the Contract of Employment
9. Other Modes of Termination of the Contract of Employment
10. Injunction and Declaration
11. Remedies: Actions for Wages or Damages
12. Statutory Remedies
13. The Contract of Employment and Third Parties
14. Industrial Torts
15. Unfair Work Contracts
16. Discrimination Laws (new contributor).