In the winter palace, the King's new physician has more enemies than she at first realises. But then she also has more remedies to hand than those who wish her ill can know about.
In another palace across the mountains, in the service of the regicidal Protector General, the chief bodyguard too has his enemies. He also has at least one person he cares for deeply and who cares for him, though neither can risk saying so.
Spiralling round a central core of secrecy, deceit, love and betrayal, two stories - linked more closely than even those involved can know - climb to a devastating climax.
INVERSIONS is a spectacular work of science fiction, brilliantly told and wildly imaginative. It is destined to become a classic of the genre.
* 'A fantastic, awe-inspiring book ... I can’t imagine anyone not being won over by this deeply entertaining, thought-provoking and humane story' EXPRESS
* 'Taut, hilarious and wicked' MAIL ON SUNDAY
* 'Compulsive Banksian reading ... thoughtful, intelligently bloody stuff' SFX
* 'Captivating ... incisive ... as sublime as ever' TIME OUT
* 'Violently clever' GUARDIAN
* '[An] intriguing and powerfully realised tale.' NEW SCIENTIST
About the Author
Iain Banks came to widespread and controversial public notice with the publication of his first novel, THE WASP FACTORY, in 1984. He has since gained enormous popular and critical acclaim for both his mainstream and his science fiction novels.
A fantastic, awe-inspiring book ... I can't imagine anyone not being won over by this deeply entertaining, thought-provoking and humane story - EXPRESSTaut, hilarious and wicked - MAIL ON SUNDAYCompulsive Banksian reading ... thoughtful, intelligently bloody stuff - SFXCaptivating ... incisive ... as sublime as ever - TIME OUT
Number Of Pages: 416
Published: 21st May 2001
Publisher: Little, Brown Book Group
Country of Publication: GB
Dimensions (cm): 19.7 x 12.5 x 2.6
Weight (kg): 0.33
Edition Number: 1