About the Author
- Insider advice on the most fun and educational experiences for kids of all ages in the nation's capital. This completely updated edition is full of incredibly detailed tips - right down to which hotels offer cribs and rollaway beds and which restaurants offer high chairs and kids' menus.
- Where to find hands-on, interactive museums; the best children's entertainment, from concerts and children's theater to puppet shows; kid-oriented shopping; and parks and other places to play.
- Insightful commentary on how to introduce your kids to the historic attractions.
- Opinionated reviews. No bland descriptions and lukewarm recommendations. Our expert writer is passionate about Washington D.C.--she tells it like it is in an engaging and helpful way.
- Exact prices listed for every establishment and activity--no other guides offer such detailed, candid reviews of hotels and restaurants. We include the very best, but also emphasize moderately priced choices for real people.
- User-friendly features including star ratings and special icons to point readers to great finds, excellent values, insider tips, best bets for kids, special moments, and overrated experiences.
Beth Rubin has written extensively on family topics for more than 30 years and has lived in the Washington, D.C. area since the 1960s. During that time she has played tour guide to her own two children and four grandchildren as well as the offspring of numerous friends and relatives.
List of Maps vi
1 HOW TO FEEL LIKE A WASHINGTON, D.C. FAMILY 1
2 GETTING TO KNOW WASHINGTON, D.C. 9
3 WHERE TO STAY 16
4 WHERE TO EAT 46
5 WHAT TO DO AND SEE IN WASHINGTON, D.C. WITH YOUR KIDS 85
6 NEIGHBORHOOD STROLLS 160
7 FOR THE ACTIVE FAMILY 170
8 SHOPPING FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY 196
9 ENTERTAINMENT FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY 214
10 SIDE TRIPS FROM WASHINGTON, D.C. 230
11 PLANNING YOUR TRIP TO WASHINGTON, D.C. 264