Visiting churches and chapels is not just about admiring superb buildings of historic importance. It is also about walking into places that have been at the heart of communities for centuries.
Exploring Britain’s Churches & Chapels includes over 870 of the most inspiring of these buildings to be found in England, Scotland and Wales. Published by the Automobile Association in partnership with the National Churches Trust, the book aims to help readers discover some of the best churches in Britain.
Features of the Guide include:
- Regional sections with detailed entries
- Suggested day tours with maps and navigational tips
- Information about why to visit, nearby attractions and key historical information
- Colour photographs throughout
- Each building carefully selected by local experts
- A brief history of church architecture and detailed articles throughout.
The Guide provides day tours to some of the most remarkable and memorable churches and chapels. It does not seek to be exhaustive and by its nature cannot include each of the 45,000 Christian places of worship in Britain. We hope the Guide introduces some new examples of these wonderful buildings to readers.
Many of the entries to the Guide have been chosen by experts from the various county Churches Trusts, as well as Trusts representing Scotland and London churches. Organisations caring for those buildings closed for regular worship have also been involved; the Churches Conservation Trust, the Friends of Friendless Churches and the Historic Chapels Trust. These contributions have been coordinated by the National Churches Trust.